Monday, October 8, 2007

To Start

my bike 3

This is where it all began. This is my bike. It was made for me by a friend several years ago and has brought me a ton of pleasure. Aside from some small modifications that I made after the initital build it's still fairly much in its original form. I had asked my friend to build me something that was light, fast and efficient, that's pretty much what I got.

Fast forward several years and I was out riding my bike and another friend asked me where I got it. I told the story of it being built for me and how much I've enjoyed it since, then she asked, can you build me one? I had been toying with the idea and made jokes with a fellow coworker about quitting our jobs and opening a bike shop instead, we never quit but I did build my friend her bike.

The process was so rewarding for me on several levels, one I made something that was not only functionally suited to her but I made a bike that meshed with her personality. I put all ego aside, like any good designer should, and made the perfect end product for my client. The happiness I saw on her face when we took our first ride together was irreplaceable and I knew from that point on I found my new calling.

That leads me here, to this site. So far not much to post, I have the bike that started it all and will have others as they come to fruition, sometimes I find really cool things be it parts or random finds on the internet, I'll put all of those up as well.

Obviously if you like what you see, you can always email me and we can sit down and talk about a bike but I'm only really offering this to people that are in the SF Bay Area or people who are in someplace where we can meet for a coffee and talk in person. I don't like making cookie cutter messenger style fixies, some other dude can do that. I want to create truly unique bikes for unique people.

-j

No comments: